Saturday, May 11, 2013

Corning slow cooker model SC6026 over-overcooks at low temperature

   I was disappointed from the start with this slow cooker. Corning model SC6026 has been drying up our meals, even on low temp. I suspected that the temperature was too high, so I measured it. I used an industrial thermocouple and found that at the low temperature setting, the crock pot was cooking at 194 degrees F. At high temperature it held at 207 degrees. As a comparison, I checked our other crock pot, a Rival model 3100/2 from the seventies and found low temp to be 154 degrees. The Rival at high temp maintained at 194 degrees. I believe this to be a defect in the temperature control of the Corning crock pot.
   The Rival crock pot comes from the times when small kitchen appliances were still made in the U.S.A.
I picked it up at a garage sale. It was made in Sedalia, MO. and it still out cooks the much newer Corning.
I seek out these American-made kitchen appliances at garage sales, not just out of a belief in the American way of manufacturing, but because they are flat out better.

  High ratings

No comments:

Post a Comment