Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fifteen Calories Per Pound

     I found a site that states the  calories needed per pound of body weight , based on sex and activity level.  An active male like me requires about 15 calories of food a day per pound of body weight. It was such a nice clear statement of a relationship I had  wondered about.
    It set me to thinking about two pluses of losing some weight.  For each pound of weight that we lose, 15 fewer calories need to be processed by our bodies per day. That's less work for our body digesting, converting, storing and disposing of that extra food.  These functions take energy and we have a finite amount available each day. If we desire, we can find other uses for that energy.
    A second plus helps our wallets and purses. A calorie of food has a definite monetary cost. Our lighter body is more efficient, costing less to feed and maintain. How much do we save?  I lost 16 pounds on my calorie counting program last year. That's 8.5% of my previous body weight. I spend an average of $200 a month on food, 8.5% of that is $17.  Projected over a year that's $204 in food savings. Hey, that's a month of free food!
    Weight lost is money and energy saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment