Sunday, February 1, 2015

How to build a space saver compost bin

   I was looking for a way to build a compost bin for kitchen waste in way that holds the dirt evenly around the waste. I came up with the idea to build a cylindrical frame. This solved several problems I had with the size and shape of a conventional compost pile or bin, while using simple and easy to acquire materials. It provides a nice dirt enclosure around the garden waste.  


Materials: Wire fencing, zip ties, a 12” diameter plastic nursery pot with the bottom cut out, small branches.


 1) Use a piece of wire fencing about four feet high and five feet long. Now connect it together into a cylinder with zip ties. It will end up about 18 inches in diameter.
Cut the bottom out of a plastic nursery pot.

A bigger diameter means more dirt, so keep it under 18 inches

2) Place it in a location that is both near the point of usage and easy to add compost. I selected the middle of my garden when I can reach it with a wheelbarrow and also easily apply the finished compost where I need it in the garden.

3) Put a six inch layer of sticks in the bottom. This is for air flow underneath the forming compost.

4) Add a layer of leaves or grass clippings.

5) Set down the plastic pot, inverted (small diameter down) on top of the previous materials. 

6) Dump in the kitchen or garden waste to near the top of the pot.

a lot of material will fit in the pot


7) Shovel dirt around the cone and to the top. some will fall through the openings in the fencing. No matter, just shovel it back in. 

8) Pull out the cone. A second layer can built on top of the first, if desired.

Remove the pot and voila, the material is evenly encased in dirt


9) Keep the compost moist and turn after 10 days to two weeks. I find the compost ready in 3-4 weeks. I have two of these in my garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment